Weed Science Program
Extension Focus (60%)
Educate cattle ranchers and ranchette owners on cost effect weed management strategies for weed control in pastures and rangeland.
Specific educational activities include:
- Weed Identification and Biology.
- General weed control recommendations for pastures.
- Cost effective weed control programs for forage grasses including cultivars of bermudagrass, bahiagrass, stargrass and limpograss.
- Management systems that promote forage yield while minimizing weed emergence and establishment.
- Invasive weed control in pastures
Research Focus (40%)
Weed Management in Pastures and Rangeland
- Evaluation of new and existing chemical products to maximize weed control.
- Examination of weed biology and ecology as related to pasture and rangeland management strategies.
- Management of smutgrass species through chemical control, fertility, and grazing management strategies.
Invasive weed management
- Identification of invasive weed and management strategies, which includes cultural, herbicidal and biological control methodologies.
- Control of limpograss in the Kissimmee River Floodplain.
- Management of West Indian marsh grass in Myakka River State Park.
- Biology of invasive species.